Saturday, February 28, 2015

S10 // INTERVIEW: CRISTINA SCABBIA ( Lacuna Coil ) TALKS "STAR WARS: EPISODE VII"...


"THE DARK SIDE OF THE SCABBIA"…
//BY ELLIOT DIEZ// FEBRUARY 28 / 15…

 Although we´ve published soundbites in between reviews of movies / TV shows / rock concerts or trailer commentaries etc…WE´ VE NEVER HAD an official interviewUNTIL THIS POST - and for the benefit of international readers ( since this blog is mainly in spanish despite some use of the english language ), this interview ( our very first official interview FOR S10 ) is in FULL - ENGLISH.

 In the afternoon hours - prior to their 1rst time ever performance in Shannan´s Pub ( Guaynabo, Puerto Rico ) - this past Saturday, February 7th, Lacuna Coil singer Cristina Scabbia sat down with members of the puertorrican online media ( metalpr.com / werockpr.com and Sección10 ) to talk about their 2014 effort, "Broken Crown Halo" as well as the current and future state of affairs regarding the italian band...

 However, knowing that "Broken Crown Halo" was described by the band like a cinematic album, about a dark vision of a near future ( and we like to talk about movies on this blog ), this reporter - during the interview - inquired the singer about the band´s love for movies, and of course, something she likes a lot:  "STAR WARS".

 REGARDING THE CINEMATIC ASPECT OF BCH...

 Cristina Scabbia:  "Yes, because we all love movies…and we´ve always been very interested in soundtracks, and in this case Marco [ Coti Zelati, bass ] wrote a lot of stuff, just watching TV with no volume on, getting inspired by the images….like he was making the soundtrack about everything, from Discovery Channel or movies, cartoons...everything that was coming out, and [ "Broken Crown Halo"] is very cinematic because of that;  everything we heard when we were growing up and everything were seeing now or living now…came out in the record."

 CRISTINA, THE "STAR WARS" FAN...


 As every Lacuna Coil fan knows ( or at least those who have visited her Official Facebook Fan Page ), Cristina loves the saga that takes place "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away....", and taking into account the LIGHT VS. DARK themes very present in Lacuna Coil´s music ( more so in "Shallow Life", "Dark Adrenaline" and "Broken Crown Halo" ), "The Injected" short film featured in the "Dark Adrenaline" Deluxe Edition DVD, and the "Trip The Darkness video single" ), one might assume.....that the very same light vs. dark theme of George Lucas´ epic space opera might have - at some point - exerted some influence in Lacuna Coil´s music….Turns out, THAT´S NOT THE CASE...

 Cristina Scabbia:  "No I don´t think [ "Star Wars" ] plays a role at all….I always liked contrasts and duality in things, and I´m convinced that in every person there is a little bit of good and a little bit of evil;  they´re balanced in a way that sometimes [ they ] can be more evil or more good.  So [ "The Injected" short film, ( image above ) ] was sort of a way for me to say that in every person there are 2 sides co - existing, and in me as well."

 "To me, the evil part doesn´t come out as…you know, in a way that I´m hurting people or I´m violent or anything like that;  it´s more of..uh, being aggressive on stage - you will see that I´m a different person…When I´m OFF STAGE….I don´t know, it´s like I transform - I´m very "nerdy";  I´m very "Hi, I´m Cristina", because I like to be like that, I am like that, but [ ON STAGE ], I don´t know…something happens….I feel like I am a different person, but it´s still a part of myself... 


 ABOUT "STAR WARS EPISODE VII - THE FORCE AWAKENS"

 S10:  "Since you love Star Wars, what are your thoughts about [ last november´s "Episode VII"´s trailer and upcoming movie ( above ) ], and where you´re gonna be on December 18th, 2015 ( EP. VII´s release date ) ?"

 Cristina Scabbia:  "The new one ( she laughs )?  Well, I don´t know if I´m gonna be there the very 1rst day, because I know that it´s gonna be super crowded and I actually enjoy to be in the movie theater when it´s kinda empty, so I will wait a little bit more…and I´m not only I´m excited about the original cast coming back, but mainly for the fact that they will be using the same type of [ practical effects in this film ] that they were using at the very beginning."  

 "For me it was a…little bit of a …turn - off when I saw [ "Episodes I - III" ] because they were ( she pauses )..…I understand that the new movies need to use all the technology, and the [ CGI ] animation and all the modern special effects, but the beauty of "Star Wars" was that it was really…really rough and hand - made, AND THAT WAS THE BEAUTY OF IT, and I´m sure that a lot of fans, at least the old - school fans…are loving this of  Star Wars."

 ABOUT THE CONTROVERSIAL [ KYLO REN ] LIGHTSABER…

 Cristina Scabbia:  "( laughing ) You mean the CROSS ONE?…I´M  THINKING, AWESOME!!!…I WANT ONE, I want one….I want one;  no no, I think it´s really…really good looking." 


 AS FOR THE "BROKEN CROWN HALO" FOLLOW - UP ( the 1rst without guitarrist Cristiano "Pizza" Migliore and drummer Cristiano 'CriZ' Mozzati ), the singer recently announced on her Facebook fan page that those tunes have already been written and listened to...and while the Lacuna Coil music writing team - for all intents and purposes - remained the same, Scabbia hinted at some possible experimenting for the next record - in light of current drummer Ryan Blake Folden...

 Cristina Scabbia:  "I believe... I believe that the next record might be heavier, because we have a new drummer, so he will probably be experimenting more on his side.  It's the first time that we will write with Ryan.  But the main composers, the main songwriters are still in the band, so I don't think it's gonna be something that worries us.  I mean, we feel pretty confident that we will come up with a great record, and we can't wait to start."

 On that note, this reporter made a request for a possible Lacuna Coil COVER SONG worthy enough to join "Losing My Religion" ( R.E.M. ) and "Enjoy The Silence" ( Depeche Mode ):  "MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE" ( The Police )

 S10:  "You guys went to one of those rehearsals ( in 2007 ) of the Police when they reunited…Would you make a cover from The Police?"

 Cristina Scabbia:  "I LOVE THE POLICE;  that would be amazing;  yeah, that´s actually a great suggestion because we really love The Police, but having 2 singers kinda puts us in the situation that we also have to think about covers that might also fit with both vocals … ( smiling ) but, yeah...HELL YEAH, I´D LOVE TO TRY."

 You can watch the entire interview on the video below ( originally streamed on internet rock show "R.C. 21" at LA RADIO PRAND THE STAR WARS PART…is at the 4:16 mark.

 Special thanks to Lechón Atómico ( metalpr.com ), Tommy "Galdy" Rivera ( werockpr.com ) and Albert Morales Tefel ( Shownet )...

S10: CRISTINA SCABBIA TALKS "STAR WARS" - INTERVIEW…

No comments:

Post a Comment